Christmas is a wonderful time to celebrate with friends and family over food, gifts, and carols. However, if you’re a vegan you may find yourself drinking instead of dining if there is nothing that meets your dietary restrictions. Especially when it comes to desserts. Keeping vegans, and gluten-free eaters in mind, here’s a #glutenfree #vegan Gingerbread Cookie recipe, spiced up with some #moringa powder. This recipe was modified from Ellen’s Spicey Gingerbread Recipe
MORINGA GINGERBREAD COOKIES (GF & VEGAN)
Ingredients – Yields about 16 cookies
-1/2 cup vegan butter (earth balance)
-1/2 cup sugar in the raw
-1/4 cup almond butter
-1/4 cup molasses
-1 chia seed “egg” (1 TBl chia seeds, 1/3 cup water)
-2 cups of gluten free baking flour
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
-1 tsp ginger
-1 Tbl of moringa powder
1 large mixing bowl
2 smaller bowls
1 butter knife
1 large wooden spoon
1. Gather all ingredients, bowls, measuring cups and utensils prior to combining ingredients.
2. In a smaller bowl combine the chia seeds and 1/3 cup of water. Stir, set aside for about 15 minutes or until it becomes “chunky”.
3. Place butter into the other smaller bowl, microwave until softened. Add to the large bowl and cream together with the sugar. Add in molasses, almond butter and chia egg, mix thoroughly.
4. Add in all dry ingredients (GF flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and ginger powder). Mix until smooth.
5. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to 1/4 inch. These gingerbread REALLY fluff up, so don’t worry about rolling too thin. Using a cookie cutter press into the rolled dough. (Feel free to use stars, trees, Santas – get creative)
3. Place the cut shapes onto an ungreased cookie sheet bake for 9 – 11 minutes. Set aside to cool.
– 1 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
– 1/4 cup vegan butter (earth balance)
– 2 TBl almond milk
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/2 Tbl moringa powder
1. Soften butter in the microwave.
2. Combine sugar, milk and vanilla extract until smooth. Ice!
*If you want to make green icing, stir in roughly 1/2 Tbl of moringa powder to add some holiday color to your gingerbread.
Enjoy these gingerbread at your next holiday get together 🙂