Our favorite part of the winter season is gathering around with those we love and celebrating the holidays over good food and company. Whether you join your friends for a festive night in, or your family for a more intimate affair, one thing is for sure – there’s bound to be lots of delicious food and tasty drinks.
We’re not one to show up to a party empty handed and this year we’ll be wowing guests with this savory holiday star bread! It’s not only delicious, with the mixture of pesto and moringa, but it is absolutely beautiful too.
The recipe can be made from scratch ahead of time and baked the day of – or you can use store bought dough for an extremely quick-and-easy preparation.
We love this season of togetherness and nothing brings us together quite like food.
- 2lbs of white bread* (I used this recipe)
- 4 Tbs pesto
- 2 tsp Pure Moringa powder
- Egg wash (1 egg + 1tbs water)
- Make the dough then let it rise for at least an hour. We are using the recipe linked above to make the dough. You are more than welcome to substitute in a different recipe if you prefer.
- Roll out the dough. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces then roll into balls. Let them rest for 20 minutes. In a small bowl, mix together the pesto and moringa powder until well incorporated. Flour your workspace then roll each ball into 10” circles.
- Stack the dough. Place the first circle onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, then spread ⅓ of the pesto mixture on top. Place another circle on top of the first and spread more pesto. Repeat this step with the next circle too then place the last circle on top.
- Shape the star bread. Place a round cookie cutter in the center of the circle then using a pizza cutter or bench scraper cut 16 strips all the way around (should look like sun rays). Take two pieces of dough, and twist them away from each other 2-3 times then pinch the ends together. Repeat around the whole circle. This will create the 8 tips for your star. Remove the cookie cutter.
- Rest then bake. Cover the star and let rise for 25 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400F and prepare your egg wash. Once the star has risen, brush it with egg wash then bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving and its is best served warm the same day.
Optional: *You could use store bought dough like crescent rolls.