Feeling fatigued? You might be iron-deficient.
Iron deficiency is the most common nutritional deficiencies in the world and is the leading cause of anemia. It most commonly affects women of child-bearing age and children. In America, iron deficiency affects approximately 10 percent of women.
Iron helps your body produce hemoglobin, which helps your red blood cells deliver oxygen to your body. Symptoms of iron deficiency include shortness of breath, fatigue, pale skin, fidgeting, headaches, anxiety, and heavy menstruation in women.
Iron-rich foods include meat, seafood, beans, dark green leafy vegetables, fruit, and iron-fortified cereals or grains. For those on plant-based diets, it is especially important to consume iron-rich plants. Both moringa and cacao (used in chocolate) are high in iron, so we’ve created a delicious smoothie bowl made with these simple ingredients.
- ¼ cup of frozen bananas, diced (or berries)
- 4 tbsp of plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp Pure Vegetable Moringa powder
- 1 tbsp raw cacao
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp of honey or agave (optional)
- Any other superfoods you love (i.e. maca, spirulina, raw vanilla beans, etc.)
- Optional toppings: coconut flakes, chia seeds, granola, fresh fruit
- Blend ingredients in a blender for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl. Top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!