Lately, I’ve been craving comfort food. And what’s more comforting than a gooey, fresh-out-of-the-oven cinnamon roll?
While I have zero qualms with eating sugar and butter-filled treats from time to time, I decided to add moringa to my recipe for a zing of vitamins (might as well, right?). I actually added what I thought was too much moringa, but boy was I wrong, because in the end I could barely even taste the familiar earthy flavor of the powder.
I made the dough from scratch but you could just as easily buy pre-made pastry dough at the store for a similar (maybe even a bit flakier) result.
Prep & cook time: 1 hour
Servings: 12 cinnamon rolls
½ c warm water
½ c milk
pinch of salt
¼ c sugar
⅓ c butter
4 c flour
¼ oz. packet yeast
½ c butter (melted)
⅔ c sugar
3T ground cinnamon
2T butter (melted)
1 ½ c powdered sugar
4 T hot water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine milk, sugar, butter, salt, and egg in a large bowl. Gradually add in flour and stir until combined.
2. Place contents of yeast packet in water and dissolve. Add mixture to batter.
3. Remove dough from bowl and knead on floured surface for 5 minutes. Place back in bowl and cover with wet paper towel. Let rise for 30 minutes.
4. Remove dough from bowl and place on floured surface. Roll into a 16”x10” rectangle. Lightly brush with melted butter.
5. Combine sugar, cinnamon, and moringa in a small bowl. Sprinkle onto buttered dough.
6. Roll dough from 16-inch side. Once completed, cut into 2-inch pieces and place on greased baking sheet.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden-brown (smells SO good!).
8. Combine butter, powdered sugar and water in a small bowl.
9. Remove rolls from oven, let cool for 15 minutes and then drizzle with glaze.
You can find many more yummy moringa recipes on our blog!