Our Back To Me Challenge is a month-long health and wellness program that jumpstarts your journey to being the healthiest, happiest you. All this month, we’re featuring healthy lifestyle tips, easy, nourishing recipes, and in-store discounts on our products. We’re even giving away awesome prizes! Learn more >>
Maybe you’ve seen this strange seed suspended in kombucha at the grocery store or sitting on top of your most recent dessert at a restaurant. But what is a chia seed and why should you incorporate more of them into your diet?
First harvested by the Aztecs in 3500 B.C., chia seeds, or salvia hispanica, have been used in medicines, food and drink, pressed for oil, taken on long distance journeys for energy, and even used in religious ceremonies.
Chia seeds were brought to popularity in North America when a researcher named Wayne Coates started studying them in 1991. Anecdotal evidence suggests that these little seeds can boost your energy, stabilize your blood sugar, help with digestion, and even boost your good cholesterol levels.
Chia seeds can be used when white or black and added to pretty much everything you eat, just like moringa. Whip into your eggs, sprinkle on top of your salads and rice bowls, or stir into a smoothie or juice. High in fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, manganese, and phosphorous, chia seeds can be used in vegan baking to replace eggs and also sprouted for a tasty micro-green.
When wet or left to soak, chia seeds take on a gelatinous coating that is their adaptive mechanism for surviving in the desert. Using this for your enjoyment, here is a simple and easy recipe for creating a chia seed pudding that can be eaten for breakfast, a mid-day snack, or even for dessert! Prep ahead and keep for a few days in your refrigerator for an easy go-to health food.
- 1 cup of your favorite milk or milk alternative
- ½ cup of Greek Yogurt (or other yogurt)
- ½ cup of Navitas Naturals Chia Seeds
- 4 Tbsp Pure Moringa Vegetable Powder
- 2 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp Honey or other sweetener (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl, making sure all the chia seeds are thoroughly covered.
- Separate into bowls, cups, or mason jars.
- Store in refrigerator overnight or for a few hours.
- Top with all your favorite fruits, granola, seeds, and, of course, more Pure Moringa Vegetable Powder!