The middle of March is filled with plenty of heavy stouts, pots of gold and corned beef, but there is one steadfast fast food tradition that remains the same – McDonald’s Shamrock Shakes. The coveted, creamy and calorie packed milkshake sneaks it’s way into your diet before you can even say “kiss me I’m Irish”.
In a healthful diet, there is room for each and every kind of food. However, you may be little surprised at how much indulgence really is packed into one festive milkshake. One small McDonald’s Shamrock Shake stacks up with 470 calories, 44% of your daily intake of saturated fat along with an ingredients list that spotlights sugar, corn syrup, and high fructose corn syrup. Upgrading to a large serves up a whopping 840 calories, 77% of saturated fat along with 115 g of sugar (McDonald’s, 2017).
Making an alternative and healthful choice, while still satisfying your holiday-spirited sweet tooth is easier than it seems. This healthy Moringa Shamrock Shake incorporates lean greens, greek yogurt and moringa powder. Avocado is a great source of monounsaturated fats and adds to that creamy festive flavor. The greek yogurt is a source of protein and calcium, while the kiwi, and flavor extracts help aid with the sweetness factor. This recipe is customizable based on your likes and dislikes. Adding ice cubes to this recipe will make your shake thicker if that better suits your preferences. If you find it not sweet enough to your taste add a bit of your go-to sweetener.
- 2 kiwi
- 1 whole avocado
- 2 cups of plain greek yogurt
- 1 packet or 1 Tbsp of Kuli Kuli Pure Moringa Vegetable Powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp mint extract
- Light whipped cream topping
- 2 frozen cherry
1. Peel the kiwis and cut into slices. Add to larger blender. Discard the fuzzy peels. Cut open avocado, removing the seed and slice into strips. Using a spoon, scoop out the slices. Add to larger blender. Discard the darker outer shell and seed.
2. Add in plain greek yogurt. Blend until smooth.
3. Add in moringa powder and blend until combined.
4. Add in flavor extracts and blend until thoroughly mixed. Pour into serving glasses, top with whipped cream and a cherry.