My father and I have an understanding. He can eat unhealthy foods when my mom’s around or when he’s at work, but when I cook, he eats how I eat – healthy, vegan, and organic. Because of his health issues, I sneak as much moringa as I can into his food too.
When looking to make something for our annual Father’s Day BBQ that we could both enjoy, I was inspired to whip up a #moringainspired vegetable hummus that could go well with grilled meats.
Other than being high in protein (great for leveling blood sugar), carrots are high in a powerful antioxidant called beta carotene (what makes them orange). They’re also high in Vitamin A, which improves eye health and helps reduce cholesterol levels. Some other benefits are good digestion, regulating blood sugar, and promoting colon health.
- 1 can of Chickpeas, low sodium
- 1 cup Carrots, boiled
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Pure Vegetable Moringa Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil carrots whole. Dicing and boiling them decreases health benefits.
- Open chickpeas and reserve water.
- Blend all ingredients thoroughly in a food processor or blender. Adding liquid from can of chickpeas as needed.
- Season to taste.
- Option to garnish with a dash of olive oil, coarse salt, and sesame seeds.
This dip goes fantastic with chips, pita bread, spread on a bagel, on a salad, or with crispy vegetables like cucumbers, tomatoes, and, well, carrots.