No, it’s not a fancy dance move. And no, it’s not the latest App that will help you achieve scheduling perfection. The switchel is an old school (think 1700’s) version of an electrolyte beverage that farmers used to drink during harvest.
Traditionally made with powdered ginger, switchel is a blend of cider vinegar, ginger, and sweetener. Depending on where you were, the different sweeteners used for switchel could be maple syrup, honey, molasses, or sorghum. Farmers would swear by switchel to quench the thirst, and also helps with allergies, prevent colds, and give a boost of energy.
Originally left out of cookbooks aimed at the higher class in the 1800’s, switchel is finding a home amongst the popular uprising of apple cider vinegar drinks and even making its way onto cocktail lists (they also used to add alcohol to switchel back in the day, so you’re really not tarnishing the tradition). Bars nowadays are blending switchel with rye, pale ale, and even rum.
Since it seems like it’s going to be quite a hot summer, this moringa inspired switchel is sure to keep you happy, hydrated, and humming for more.
- 1 cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Maple Syrup or Honey (get local honey for the most impact on helping with allergies)
- 1 Tbsp Pure Moringa Vegetable Powder
- ¼ Tbsp Ginger Powder or ½ inch Fresh Ginger, grated
- A pinch of salt (optional)
1. Mix all ingredients together in a mixing glass or cup. Taste and adjust accordingly.
2. Leave to mellow and chill for up to 2 hours in the fridge.
3. Enjoy switchel over ice, straight up, or (responsibly) with your favorite liquor.
For a fun twist on your switchel, add lemon zest and juice, berries, mint, or anything else you like to drink in the summer.
A pinch of cayenne can help with metabolism, boost your immunity, and get rid of allergies.
If you like fizzy drinks, I recommend adding sparkling water to this concentrated & chilled version.
Share with us your variations on this trending and refreshing beverage!