Feeling a little sluggish from the winter weather? Looking for a way to kick-start the New Year on a healthy foot? This salad is sure to perk you up and bring an extra spring to your step this January. It’s also a featured recipe of our Moringa Body Reset, a 7-day detox challenge utilizing the power of moringa!
The salad dressing is a slightly spicy, sweetened with just a few dates, and brilliantly green from a healthy dose of pure moringa powder. 1 teaspoon of moringa powder in the salad dressing is usually enough to add that twinkle back into your eyes. However, If you are feeling super sluggish, add 1 full Tbsp of moringa powder to the dressing for an extra boost of energy.
I love this salad because most of the ingredients are things that I always have in my kitchen- tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, greens, etc.
The rice and beans help make this salad feel like a full and satisfying meal, while also keeping the calories down.
Tahini Salad Dressing:
- 3 dried dates, pit taken out and simmered in water for about 10 minutes (2 dates if they are jumbo)
- 1/4 cup organic tahini*
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and left whole
- 1 teaspoon peeled and grated ginger
- 1 tsp up tp 1 Tbsp Pure Moringa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
*Tahini is fairly high in fat; if you are looking for a lighter salad dressing, replace this with 1/4 cup of chickpeas
- 1 generous cup of leafy greens of your choice
- 1 Avocado (optional)
- 1/4 cup beans of your choice (I used chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup tomato – diced or halved (if using cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 cucumber – sliced into half moons
- 1/2 carrot – shredded with a box grater
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
- A star-shaped piece of red bell pepper or lemon slice for garnish (optional)
- Blend all of the salad dressing ingredients together in a blender until smooth and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the avocado (if using), beans, tomato, cucumber, carrots, and rice/quinoa.
- Place your leafy greens on the bottom of a large salad bowl.
- Pour your grain and vegetable mixture on top of the greens.
- Serve the salad dressing on the side or drizzle a bit on top of the salad.
- Garnish your salad with a star-shaped piece of red bell pepper or lemon wedge.