Are you tired of the same, old afterschool snacks? These moringa mushroom riceballs will make your kids sing and skip down the halls. Want to put a twist on the same old bowl of rice? These moringa mushroom riceballs are infused with chicken broth, mixed with soft, juicy, diced mushrooms, and coated in a crispy crunch of breadcrumbs. Up for a difficult (not really) challenge for your culinary skills? This recipe will require you to get your hands dirty- get ready to pull out your rice cooker and deep fryer.
PS. Don’t let the “fried” part scare you away. You can easily flatten balls into mushroom rice patties then lightly pan sear for a healthier version of this recipe.
- 2 cups rice
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 4 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 2 tbsp Pure Moringa Powder (2 single serving packet)
- 2 cup of mushrooms, diced
- 3 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning or other dried herbs
- 2 tsp dried garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a rice cooker, cook rice with broth and Pure Moringa Powder until soft. Or in a pot, cook rice in broth over low-medium heat until the broth is absorbed and your rice has fully absorbed all liquid.
- Remove rice from heat and transfer into a large bowl and stir in the whisked egg. Stir frequently to prevent scrambling the egg. Stir in chopped mushrooms, cheese, salt, lemon zest and juice, and dried herbs.
- Allow rice mixture to cool for 1 hour or until cool to touch.
- Dampen hands with water. Roll rice into a ball about 1 inch in diameter or fitted into cupped palms.
- Coat each rice ball evenly in breadcrumbs.
- In a small skillet or deep fryer, heat oil until 350 degrees F. Fry rice balls until golden brown.
- Drain and cool on paper towels. Serve warm and with moringa garlic pesto or dip of your choice.
You can find many more yummy moringa recipes on our blog!