With cold and flu season upon us, we could all use an extra boost to help keep our immune systems healthy! This herbal “flu shot” is an infusion of apple cider vinegar, herbs, spices, moringa leaf powder, and raw honey–all of which contribute to a powerful, immune-boosting wellness shot!
Let’s take a look at the benefits of this herbal “flu shot”…
Apple Cider Vinegar–this tangy, alkaline liquid helps give your body a stronger immunity to bacteria and viruses.
Ginger–great for digestion and deliciously spicy, ginger is also filled with antioxidants and exhibits anti-inflammatory properties.
Echinacea–this beautiful plant also has immune-boosting properties and has been shown to be effective in preventing colds and reducing cold recovery time.
Moringa–high in vitamins, minerals, and potassium this leafy green reduces inflammation and fights free radicals in the body.
Raw Honey–did you know that raw honey is antibacterial, antifungal, and filled with antioxidants? Raw honey is also a great home remedy for a sore throat.
Lemon–this well-known citrus fruit is full of vitamins, essential nutrients, and antioxidants. Lemon is also an antibacterial which makes it great for fighting off common infections such as the cold and throat infections.
Rose Hips–extremely high in vitamin C, this vibrant fruit is a powerful antioxidant and has been shown to strengthen the immune system.
Black Peppercorns–this household spice contains vitamins and minerals, as well as helping to ease nasal congestion. Black pepper is also used in Ayurvedic medicine as a cold and cough remedy.
Please note: this recipe will need to infuse for at least three weeks in the refrigerator so that the herbs have time to properly hydrate and infuse into the liquid!
1 ½ c raw apple cider vinegar
1 echinacea tea bag or 1 tablespoon loose, dried echinacea
½ Tbsp freshly grated ginger
1 Tbsp moringa powder
¼ c raw, local honey
Juice and zest of 1 organic lemon
1 rose hip tea bag or 1 tablespoon loose, dried rose hips
½ tsp black peppercorns
Note: Although not stated for every ingredient, I recommend and encourage the use of organic, pesticide-free ingredients. As with any infusion, you want to be using the highest quality products available that are free from chemicals and contaminants.
Note: you don’t need to add the honey to this mixture until it is done infusing! Feel free to add the honey after 3 weeks when the mixture has been strained.
- Prep your lemon and ginger
- Add all dry ingredients into a glass jar and pour the apple cider vinegar over them
- Add your lemon and ginger into the jar with the rest of the ingredients
- Put a lid on your glass jar and give the mixture a good shake
- Set aside in the refrigerator and let the ingredients infuse for at least three weeks
- Shake the mixture every so often so that the ingredients don’t settle for too long. This is so that the ingredients can properly hydrate and infuse into the liquid.
- After the three weeks has passed, remove the mixture from the fridge and strain the liquid out. Be sure to compost any food waste!
- Mix the honey into the strained liquid and put in a jar or glass container that you can easily pour from.
- Drink a shot (about 1.5 oz) everyday to help keep your immune system strong and during illness to help you recover!
An Immune Boosting Powerhouse
This herbal wellness shot REALLY packs a punch! You only need a small “shot” or a few sips a day. If you find it hard to sip on plain (the ginger and apple cider vinegar give it a strong, tart flavor) you can add a spoonful to your favorite green juice or mix it into a cup of hot water for wellness tea. If you mix it into hot water, the honey should help neutralize the tart flavor!
Let us know if you make this recipe by snapping a pic and tagging us on Instagram! Use the hashtags #kulikuli and #moringainspired so we’re sure to see it.
What are your favorite cold and flu prevention remedies? Let us know in the comments!