Healthy “shots” like the one featured here are great additions to any routine. Nutrient-dense foods like moringa, combined with healthy routines, can enhance a person’s overall sense of health and wellbeing. This apple cider vinegar and moringa shot is a powerful infusion that helps the immune system stay strong.
At Kuli Kuli, we know that there isn’t just “one magical plant” or supplement that can fix everything or offer a “cure-all.” We offer an article on The Science of Nourishing Immunity if you would like to learn more about how moringa can contribute to a healthy body.
Analyzing the Ingredients
This herbal “flu shot” (not to replace an actual flu shot!) is an infusion of apple cider vinegar, herbs, spices, moringa leaf powder, and raw honey. Let’s take a closer look at what goes into it and why it matters.
- Apple Cider Vinegar–this tangy, alkaline liquid helps give your body a stronger immunity to bacteria and viruses.
- Ginger–great for digestion and deliciously spicy, ginger is also filled with antioxidants and exhibits anti-inflammatory properties.
- Echinacea–this beautiful plant also has immune-boosting properties and has been shown to be effective in preventing colds and reducing cold recovery time.
- Moringa–high in vitamins, minerals, and potassium this leafy green reduces inflammation and fights free radicals in the body. Check out our Top 10 Reasons to Eat Moringa Everyday.
- Raw Honey–did you know that raw honey is antibacterial, antifungal, and filled with antioxidants? Raw honey is also a great home remedy for a sore throat.
- Lemon–this well-known citrus fruit is full of vitamins, essential nutrients, and antioxidants. Lemon is also an antibacterial which makes it great for fighting off common infections such as the cold and throat infections.
- Rose Hips–extremely high in vitamin C, this vibrant fruit is a powerful antioxidant and has been shown to strengthen the immune system.
- Black Peppercorns–this household spice contains vitamins and minerals, as well as helping to ease nasal congestion. Black pepper is also used in Ayurvedic medicine as a cold and cough remedy.
Please note: this recipe will need to infuse for at least three weeks in the refrigerator so that the herbs have time to properly hydrate and infuse into the liquid! Although not stated for every ingredient, I recommend and encourage the use of organic, pesticide-free ingredients.
Recipe: Moringa Apple Cider Vinegar Shot
As with any infusion, you want to be using the highest quality products available that are free from chemicals and contaminants.
Note: you don’t need to add the honey to this mixture until it is done infusing! Feel free to add the honey after 3 weeks when the mixture has been strained.
A Healthy, Energizing Powerhouse
This herbal wellness shot REALLY packs a punch! You only need a small “shot” or a few sips a day. If you find it hard to sip on plain (the ginger and apple cider vinegar give it a strong, tart flavor) you can add a spoonful to your favorite green juice or mix it into a cup of hot water for wellness tea. Maybe make one with a housemate or spouse, and down it as a “shot!” If you mix it into hot water, the honey should help neutralize the tart flavor.
What are your favorite make-it-yourself “shots?” Let us know in the comments!
Follow us @kulikulifoods so we can see some of your favorite ways to add this energizing superfood to your daily routine.